Matteo Berrettini out of Wimbledon due to positive Covid-19 test

Matteo Berrettini out of Wimbledon due to positive Covid-19 test

  • Sports
  • June 28, 2022
  • No Comment
  • 5
  • 2 minutes read



The Italian, one of the favorites for the men’s singles title, said he was “heartbroken.”

“I have had flu symptoms and been isolating the last few days. Despite symptoms not being severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament,” the 26-year-old wrote on Instagram.

“I have no words to describe the extreme disappointment I feel,” added Berrettini, who was set to play his opening match on Tuesday.

“The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger.”

Berrettini, who lost to Novak Djokovic in last year’s final, was seen as a leading contender again this year after winning back-to-back titles on grass, in Stuttgart and Queen’s Club respectively, in the build up to Wimbledon.

Wimbledon offered their sympathies to the eighth seed, writing: “We’ll miss you, Matteo – come back stronger in 2023.”





Source link

Related post

Retail Inflation Likely to Drop in July; Will it Come Under RBI’s Tolerance Level?

Retail Inflation Likely to Drop in July; Will it…

Even as the global commodities prices are witnessing easing amid recession fear, inflation in India might have also slowed in July.…
Tata-Owned Air India to start daily flight services between Delhi and Vancouver | Aviation News

Tata-Owned Air India to start daily flight services between…

Tata-owned Air India is working on improving its flight connectivity between India and Canada by increasing the flight frequency between Delhi and…
Domestic airlines get a boost as cap on ticket prices lifts

Domestic airlines get a boost as cap on ticket…

BENGALURU: Shares of Indian domestic airlines rose on Thursday, a day after the civil aviation ministry said it will remove the…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.